Re: ibook G4 questions

On Mon, 3 May 2004 14:38:28 +0200,
Cedric Pradalier gracefully wrote:
>On Sun, 02 May 2004 18:58:15 -0400,
>Scott Henson gracefully wrote:
>>I have an ibook G4 and Ive been happily using debian-ppc since I got
>>it, but there are two nagging issues that I would like to ask this
>list>about.  The first is how do I get the caps lock key to turn into a
>>control key on a 2.6 kernel? I have goolgled for this extensively and
>I>can't seem to find anything useful.  I have the NOCAPS thing in my
>>XF86Config-4 file, but still no control, the caps key has no effect.
>>>From what I can tell this is an ADB problem that the keyboard sends
>>different key codes when the key is pressed and released.  Is there
>any>way to get the kernel to send the same keycode both time? Or a way
>to>get the capslock key to send control that I have yet to come across.
>

>Hi,
>
>I have the same situation on my G3. With xev, pressing the capslock
>send Press AND Release event (keycode 66), and releasing it also send
>Press AND Release. The key associated with this is Ctrl_L.
>
>True Ctrl-L keycode is 37.
>
>Nevertheless, it is not really a problem for me since I usually use
>xmodmap to move capslock to a place where I don't press on it
>accidentally...

I just check with xmodmap. The fact that CapsLock (0x42) was not working
was only due to the fact that it is registered as a Control modifier,
not as a lock modifier.

pradalie@ceruse:~$ xmodmap
xmodmap:  up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_L (0x42),  Control_R (0x6d)

If I put it only in the lock, it works :
in .xmodmap :
clear Lock
clear Control
keycode 37 = Control_L
keycode 66 = Caps_Lock
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L
add Control = Control_R

--
Cedric

"[Of course] I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous
accent, you silly king-a?!"  Monty Python and the Holy Grail