Sound and console after gnome

OK, I know it's a mistake to tamper with what works but...

I was running enlightenment on my Powerbook with sid, with sound running fine.
I then tried to get gnome running, so I could have a file manager. After
installing gnome, I no longer have sound, and when I try to switch to a
console, the computer freezes. I ran alsamixer, and it says that the master
control is off, and I don't know how to turn it on again. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Derek