Re: 2.6.5-rc3-ben0 freezes on old iBook

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 23:49, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt writes:
>
> > In the worst case (we can't get the driver to work) you still have
> > the option of using offb in console, XFree has its own driver that
> > should work.
>
> Um, are you sure about this?  I just tried this on a Lombard, and both
> plain XFree86 4.3.0 and Michel's XFree86 4.3.99 produce a white screen
> where the X server should be and set the brightness of the text
> consoles to zero until the next reboot.

That's interesting. You should report this to the XFree ATI driver
maintainer :) XFree driver does NOT use fbdev as a backend (no equivalent
of the UseFBDev option that exist for r128 or radeon) as the maintainer
of the driver is pretty much allergic to the idea of not beeing in full
control of the world and its citizen ;)

However, from experience, the driver used to work fine even on fancy
hardware like the LT-G chip of my old wallstreet.

Also, on the Lombard, the brightness is controlled by the PMU, right ?
Not by the ATI chip...

Ben.