Re: Low battery -> power down + clock set back to 1904-01-01

On 2004 Apr 13 , at 03:36, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
On 2004-04-13 13:31:23 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
Or maybe you just wasn't fast enough flipping the battery...

This took just a few seconds. I had prepared the second battery to do
the change as fast as possible.

I did the same with the second battery only (removing it, waiting for
a few seconds, and putting it back), and I didn't notice any problem.

Another possibility you perchance did not consider is that your bridge battery may be dead. The bridge battery sustains main memory while you switch out the main battery. I haven't seen a laptop yet that uses a capacitor for this job the way that smaller hand held devices do. Bridge batteries only last about 4 years before they cease to do their job properly. My preferred method of testing them is to disassemble the laptop (it's not actually that hard, I know where you can obtain the docs for the G4s if you need them) and use a volt meter. In this case though you may be able to tell by doing the same procedure under OSX, provided you have it installed. If it behaves the same, you probably have a dead bridge battery. If not...

cira

ps. you meant 1984-01-01 not 1904-01-01 right?