Re: G5 & Debian-installer

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 12:52:58PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > Err, would you please care about sending a bug report about this problem ?
>
> Done.

Cool.

> > I asked for G5 tests since some time now, but nobody cared to try it
> > out.
>
> Well, it took some effort to get hold of yorick and put Debian on him.

hehe ...

> > Yes, please, we need to have this kernel fixed well before d-i beta4.
>
> Should be alright if you just leave out CONFIG_SERIAL.

Mmm, i believe there are IBM RS6000 Power4 boxes with serial port and
serial console, probably this is not the right fix.

> > Ideally, we should have a 2.6 aware debian-installer for beta4 too.
>
> First things first.  I'll start work on the 2.6.5 kernel-image
> packages now.

Ok, please send them to me once you have finished. You will notice that
the debian/rules is an horror, i wanted to clean it up some, and in
particular not build the power3/4 prep and chrp packages, but only the
pmac and chrp-rs6k ones. Also, spliting the power3 and power4 in smp and
non-smp would be nice, since using a smp kernel on a non smp machines is
said to have a serious performance hit (like 20-30% maybe i am told).

Also, how is the alioth project going ? If it is opened, we should
create a powerpc-kernel-maint list or something, and use that as the
maintainer, and both of us as uploaders.

Make sure you make the stuff available somewhere, so i can have a look
early on.

Friendly,

Sven Luther