Re: Success!

Brad Boyer wrote:
On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 04:24:57AM -0400, Ron Murray wrote:

I suspect the basic problem is that, since the on-board display in this
Mac has failed, I had to use the PCI display. Either the board is faulty
in some strange way (although it seems to work perfectly under MacOS),
or the driver in the stock woody kernel is buggy. It usually doesn't
take too long before the whole thing comes crashing down.

There are some older ATI Mach64 based cards that have had trouble
with some versions of the Linux driver. Perhaps you could tell us
the exact model?

It's not a chipset I've seen before (made by iXMICRO, whoever they are). But since I'm now in Linux, I can do an lspci -v:

> 00:0e.0 Display controller: Integrated Micro Solutions Inc.:
> Unknown device 9135 (rev 01)
>	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 24
>	Memory at 88000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
>	Expansion ROM at 81840000 [disabled]

The thing did come with the Mac from Apple as far as I know, but I know no more about it. There's also this from the kernel boot sequence:

> MacOS display is /pci/IMS,tt3d
> Using unsupported 1024x768 IMS,tt3d at 88000020, depth=16, pitch=2048
> Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
> fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer device on /pci/IMS,tt3d

I'm not certain exactly what driver it's using. And the "unsupported" bit worries me.

So, currently I can access the machine via the serial console or with
SSH. I'm now doing an upgrade to sarge, and then I'll try building
kernels and see what happens. There's still a couple of loose ends (like
finding out why quik doesn't work: I'm still using BootX, and why
networking stops periodically), but we're basically there.

There used to be a bug in quik that made it break on G3 processors. It
was originally written for 601 and 604 based boxes, and most people
started using BootX about the same time that G3 boxes became popular.
I'm pretty sure the patch for G3 support didn't make it into woody.
It probably works in sarge, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I did get the g3 patch for quik, but it hasn't helped. It may be that I just have it configured wrong: this is all new stuff to me yet.

Thanks,

 .....Ron

--
Ron Murray   (rjmx@rjmx.net)