Re: Dual display with Gnome 2.4

> The display I am trying to set up is a 17" TFT screen. I have been
> trying both the DVI direct connection and the DVI/VGA adapter with no
> success at all. In fact, the display shows some sort of scrambled
> dessign where some parts of the Gnome desktop can be recognized (for
> example, a moving icon on the top bar). In fact, this problem is not
> restricted to de X's as I am also unable to see the console on the
> external display. Any other ideas?

Yes, I think I know what's up. It needs several hacks in XFree to
be made to work, not very simple. Nothing I can do right now, but
I can have a look later when I finally get a TFT screen myself (I
had one on loan for a while but had to give it back)

Basically, XFree doesn't quite understand that the DVI output on
those machines is actually routed to the primary TMDS and not the
secondary one. In addition, there are some fixes to do to X so
it properly disables tiling mode on the second CRTC (you can try
hacking this one yourself: clear crtc2_offset_cntl), and to
properly do detection of both heads in such a configuration.

Ben.