d-i on powerpc/prep (was Re: installing sarge on Motorola PowerStack...)

CCing the debian-boot lists, since this is relevant there.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 03:08:50PM +0100, Johannes Wischert wrote:
> I succesfully booted the Powerstack with  this initrd:
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/vmlinuz-2.4.22-powerpc-prep.initrd

I have some problems for the 2.4.25 prep kernels with builtin initrd,
but i hope to fix that nextly, once that is done, you can try this one
out.

> It boots without problems... It downloads the installer components without
> any problems but then it complains about not finding the cdrom drivers. In
> the console i can see that it does not find the drivers for my scsi
> controler .. and does not find the drivers for the network card.. but  it
> downloaded
> the installer components only seconds before.. and you can ping to the
> network card from an external comp without problems...
> The missing modules are: tulip for the networkcard, and sym53c8xx for
> scsi...
> Has anybody else tried to install sarge on a powerstack?

Ok, can you give us the output of lspci and lspci -n, so we can have
more info on your system.

The tulip ethernet card and the sym53x8xx_2 drivers are builtin the
2.4.25 kernel (only the tulip for the 2.4.22).

Mmm, i think the above mention of problems with the cdrom is not a
misdetected hardware, but a problem with the initrd being too old for
the current set of .udebs in the archive.

I will advice you once i have fixed the prep built for the 2.4.25
kernel, and you can try again then, ok ?

Thanks for testing on a prep box.

Friendly,

Sven Luther