Re: About partimage boot disk

On 17/03/2004 at 11:40, Gorka Etxebarria wrote:

> On Miércoles, 17 de Marzo de 2004 11:36, Kiko Piris wrote:
> > Use tar
>
> On a mounted filesystem?, could you send me a clue to make this?.

Tar on a umounted filesystem will "Cowardly refuse to create an empty
archive" ;-)

First, switch to runlevel 1 (booting single or issuing `init 1').

This will stop non-essential services/daemons.

Then you can remount your filesystems `ro' (except the destination of the
tarball, of course). This is not strictly necessary (I've done it
without remounting, but is safer).

Tar everything you want to keep and save the tarball in a safe place.

Repartition (of course, beware not to lose the tarball).

Remount repartitioned filesystems appropiately and extract the tarball
(of course as root, and specifying -p to preserve attributes).

This (more or less) should do it.

Make sure to have a good backup before doing all this:

(http://tira.escomposlinux.org/ecol-58.png)
(http://comic.escomposlinux.org/ecol-58-e.png)

:-)))

--