Re: anyone ever hooked a dumb terminal up to a NewWorld PowerMac?

On 02/03/2004 at 21:16, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Mar  2 20:48:50 redwald kernel: hub.c: new USB device 01:06.0-1.3, assigned address 6
> Mar  2 20:48:50 redwald kernel: usb.c: USB device 6 (vend/prod 0x557/0x2008) is not claimed by any active driver.
>
> I load the usbserial module accordingly:
>
> # modprobe usbserial vendor=0x557 product=0x2008

It could be that you are missing the module that interfaces the hardware
with usb-serial. Let me explain with my case:

I have a cable of this kind that I use to connect a rs-232 modem to my
iBook's usb port. When I plug the usb cable to the iBook (having the
modem connected to the other end), hotplug modprobes usbserial *and*
ftdi_sio (that's the driver usbserial uses to talk to my adapter).

Just and idea...

OTOH: you could plug a "normal" modem to your cable to see if it accepts
at commands through minicom (that way you would know if the adapter
cable is working at all). That kind of cables use to work well with
modems.  Other hardware can be a little bit "trickier" (for example, if
I connect my serial-usb adapter to a cisco router with the cables that
came with it -an RJ-XX with a db9 adapter-, ftdi_sio does not see
anything; if I use another cable that came with a switch, it works
fine; so: you could also try another kind of cable).

--
Kiko