Re: partitioning and booting

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 15:05, Mich Lanners wrote:
> On   1 Mar, this message from Albert Cahalan echoed through cyberspace:
> > Besides mac-fdisk and dd, what works for a Mac?
>
> I believe parted also works, but I haven't used it personally.
>
> > So far, I've used dd to put raw copies of my
> > data onto all three disks. I'd like to have
> > more partitions and/or extend the existing
> > main ext2 partition. What is safe to use on
> > my Mac? I worry that MacOS or yaboot will freak
> > out if the disk size changes.
>
> This is _not_ MS-DOS. There is a place in the partition map that
> contains total disk size (maybe repeated in every partition entry, not
> sure), but that's it.

So this looks like a bad idea. I'd have to write
a tool to update the partition size or hack it
with some very careful dd commands.

> For instance, what you can do is recreate a new partition map in the
> layout that you want, then dd data from old to new. If new partition
> matches size of old one, you're done. If new is larger, extend with
> apropriate tool. Mac partition tables permit to adjust the size down to
> a single block of granularity, which is important when recreating same
> size partitions on a larger disk.

For the MacOS 9.1 driver partitions... same thing?
I can just copy them over to a different-sized disk?

> I think I've done the copying for ext2 and hfs partitions, changing the
> physical location on disk without any ill effects.

OK, so the plan goes like this:

1. create exact-sized partitions for MacOS
2. use the remainder for Linux
3. dd the data, one partition at a time
4. use e2resize or mke2fs+tar for Linux
5. mount it, then edit the fstab on it

Then, there's no need to do any yaboot
or MacOS magic. I just switch disks and boot.

(at which point my old disk is likely to die)