A (probably) simple X issue

I set up my X server (Xfree86 4.2.1) from Debian's testing tree after a net install today. I'd been having issues getting anything but YDL to display on my computer, as I have a GeForce 4 Ti card, but I decided to give Debian another try. I've searched list archives but I'm not clear on a few things.

1) When the system starts now, it attempts to log in using gdm, which starts x of course. The trouble is, I can't get back to a console because the screen goes blank at about 30khz by 30 hz which is of course not displayable =) How do I get out of this loop so I can reconfigure? Do I have to reinstall?

2) What are the best options to choose for this card? I understand that the nv driver doesn't support my card per se, and I do know my monitor's specs as far as resolution, scan etc. Should I be using fbdev? Perhaps someone has a useful XF86Config or XF86Config-4 they can share?

3) If the answers to the above two are that I am not going to be able to display anything (which I doubt), is YDL the only option? (It works fine but I am much more familiar with the Debian way, I work with fink all the time in OS X and use Debian on my x86 as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide

Evan