Re: Installing Debian using debian-sarge-netinst.iso (powerpc)

s. keeling wrote:
This is ridiculous advice and I wish people like you would stop
offering it.  Multiple partitions make the system far more robust and
usable in many ways, from backing it up through system stability.
This is just as true for a laptop as it is for servers.

The single partition way is simpler to install; that's its only saving
grace.  Multiple partitions make it far less fragile.

Not if you're going to put multiple subtrees on one partition. That can be an OK stopgap measure when you can't repartition a system, but for a system you're still laying out? I would never do that. If I were configuring a server system, a separate /home, /var, /tmp, and /usr makes sense, and I'd set the system up that way. For a workstation, on the other hand, it's not really that helpful.

Also, it really needs more forethought as far as the sizes of the individual partitions you'll need for the system - I used to do the "separate filesystems for everything on my workstations" thing, but I ran across enough cases where I just ran myself out of disk space for no good reason, and then I had to back up, repartition, and restore, to fix my mistake.

I'm not saying that multiple partitions is a bad thing, but stuffing a whole bunch of subtrees on one filesystem right away, as I said before, is silly, and I really think you shouldn't do it. (Yes, I will continue to offer this advice. Thanks. Feel free to ignore me.)

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net