Re: Please advise iBook/Powerbook purchase

--- Rory Campbell-Lange <rory@campbell-lange.net> wrote:
> I'm a very happy iBook user on Debian testing. I use the fluxbox and
> performance is fine for my uses (95% xterms + firefox). However my
> screen is giving out and I need another machine. The ability for it
> to sleep and wireless support is a major concern. Apart from that I
> don't have many other needs (CD optional, firewire/usb support nice
to have
> but not essential). I'm thinking of picking up a second-hand machine
> from Small Dog.
>
> I'd be grateful for some advice for an iBook or powerbook that will
> meet my needs and has got good Debian support.

I recently purchased an iBook G4 and I absolutely love it except for
one thing.  The Airport Extreme card is not supported under Linux, and
progress on this front has been slow.  Everything else is mostly
supported and getting better all the time.  If you're not averse to a
used machine, an iBook or Powerbook that uses the original Airport card
would probably be exactly what you need.

Matthew H. Ray