Re: Writing a HOWTO about debian on iBook G4

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 08:55, Colin Leroy wrote:
> > It seems many people build their kernels in /usr/src, [...]
> > ".. Linus has also pointed out several times that people should *not*
> > compile kernels in /usr/src/linux, and instead do it in their home
> > directory as a regular user, not root. The only time you should become
> > root is when you install the kernel."
>
> Well, /usr/src doesn't mean you have to be root...
>
> just `chgrp -R users /usr/src && chmod -R g+w /usr/src` (or equivalent).
> Don't use such a broad group like 'users' if you don't trust them ;)

1:0 for you ... :)

Seriously: Torvalds:
___________________________
I would suggest that people who compile new kernels should:

- NOT do so in /usr/src. Leave whatever kernel (probably only the header
files) that the distribution came with there, but don't touch it.

More on:
<http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/usr-src-linux-symlink.html>

Additionally:
<http://linuxgazette.net/issue62/tag/4.html>