Re: Writing a HOWTO about debian on iBook G4

Hi Sebastien

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 23:06, Sébastien FRANÇOIS wrote:
> Hi,
> This is just to let you know that I've been working on a howto about using an
> iBookG4 under Debian, I intend to add the missing parts (keyboard and
> others),  and publish it within a few days,
> let me know if you want to contribute or change things,

Cool. Thanks.

Here's another link on Altivec 7455 (I hope it's the same 7455 that's in
Apple machines .. not being sure on it):
<http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC7455>

Introduction to RISC Technology (1995):
<http://physinfo.ulb.ac.be/divers_html/PowerPC_Programming_Info/intro_to_risc/irt0_index.html>

IBM: "Introduction to assembly on the PowerPC"
<http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-ppc/>

What I missed so far (after an admittedly very short glance over it):

The output of "cat /proc/cpuinfo" on your machine, and perhaps the one
generated by "lspci". Or simply some other form of details on the
hardware you're running. That's most of the time the first thing I'm
looking for when I see documentation like yours, simply to find out
whether the information provided could be important for my machine, a
Titanium IV, too.

       On Kernel Compile

You write:
_____________________
cd /usr/src

mkdir linux && cd linux

rsync -avz rsync.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de::linuxppc-2.5-benh

[ ... ]

make menuconfig
_______________________________

It seems many people build their kernels in /usr/src, and you probably
can read it on dozens of pages to do this in that directory, but
according to what I've learned so far, this is wrong:
We've discussed this in Debian-User some time ago, and here's the start
of the thread:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200312/msg03500.html>

Excerpt:

".. Linus has also pointed out several times that people should *not*
compile kernels in /usr/src/linux, and instead do it in their home
directory as a regular user, not root. The only time you should become
root is when you install the kernel."

Actually this last quote is from somewhere else: Please check the above
mentioned thread for details.

David Z Maze later wrote in this thread:

"None of my machines have a /usr/src/linux.  I don't miss it.  On my
laptop I build kernels in /home/dmaze/src/kernel/kernel-source-$KVERS;
my home desktop machine builds kernels for both itself and my firewall
machine in /usr/local/src.  Real root privileges are only involved in
building the kernel when I install the kernel-image packages using
dpkg and the subsequent reboot.  :-)"

But that's now where the problems start: Until now I haven't found out
exactly how to compile a kernel in a directory other than /usr/src/.

So let's say you want to build your kernel in
/home/<some-non-root-user>/kernels/2.4kernel/
:
It seems, one can do a simple
make menuconfig
and then
make-kpkg clean
in this non-root (non-/usr/src/) user directory as a non-root user,
provided write permissions are available for doing that.

But the build itself, according to (for example)
/usr/share/kernel-package/README
seems to have to be done as a fake-root, or something like that, i.e.
something along the line of
$fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

But I'm definitely not sure on that ... I'm hoping someone else knowing
more than me can come in here.

Also:
I'm not sure on the linux link in /usr/src, pointing to the kernel
source directory:

1:
My *guess* is, you might *need* such a link, whether in /usr/src/ or
somewhere else, if you have more than one kernel source tree, so that a
non-kernel source build process (for mplayer for example) knows the
exact kernel it needs to get build against.

2:
If it's true we *need* a linux link pointing to the kernel source tree:
I don't know, whether it's definitely necessary  to have it in /usr/src
or whether we can also create it in *any* other directory, i.e in
/home/<some-non-root-user>/kernels/
if we keep to the example from above.

The documentation I found so far on on the linux link is actually
unusable for those trying to understand this, so, again, others might
come in here, with URL's, knowledge, whatever.

Not being sure, Sebastien, whether this might help you for building your
pages, but I thought I'd come in *before* you finished the pages ... :)

As usual:
HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang