Re: CUPS 1.1.20final-14 is a kernel 2.6 killer on PPC

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 00:52, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> I'm on an iMac CRT (rev.D, 333MHz).
>
> Today's CUPS upgrade in Sarge manages to kill kernels upon loading:
>
> On 2.6.1, it results in a hang during boot. It eventually gets over it, but
> complains that "irda_setup timed out on 1st byte" which means that it's trying
> to access a port that isn't physically available on this iMac configuration.
>
> On 2.6.3, I don't even get to see the above error message. Instead, the kernel
> just freezes dead; the only cure is to disconnect the power cord from the Mac
> and reboot.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) Why do I get this timeout on IrDA port, even though this hardware has none?
> 2) How could trying to access the port manage to crash 2.6.3?

There is something wrong, we don't know exactly what yet. Upon boot,
cups tries to do something to the serial ports (they may not have
connectors, but the SCCs are present in all Mac models). That turns
into the lockup you experienced. It's not 100% reproduceable though,
so I'm having a hard time tracking it down.

We "fixed" it on Linus G5 by not building the pmac_zilog serial
driver in the kernel, but of course, that's not a good long term solution.

Ben.