CUPS 1.1.20final-14 is a kernel 2.6 killer on PPC

I'm on an iMac CRT (rev.D, 333MHz).

Today's CUPS upgrade in Sarge manages to kill kernels upon loading:

On 2.6.1, it results in a hang during boot. It eventually gets over it, but
complains that "irda_setup timed out on 1st byte" which means that it's trying
to access a port that isn't physically available on this iMac configuration.

On 2.6.3, I don't even get to see the above error message. Instead, the kernel
just freezes dead; the only cure is to disconnect the power cord from the Mac
and reboot.

I have two questions:

1) Why do I get this timeout on IrDA port, even though this hardware has none?
2) How could trying to access the port manage to crash 2.6.3?

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/