Re: debootstrap error with the netinstall image of 13-feb

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 03:12:02PM +0100, Bob Hentges wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> >On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:35:51PM +0100, Bob Hentges wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I just tried to install Linux on an iMac [17'', 1 Ghz G4, 768 MB Ram]of
> >>mine, using the new netinstall-image of the 13-feb. It works just very
> >>well until at some point it just seems like "crashing":
> >>
> >>Installing base system into /target/ failed. Check
> >>/target/var/log/debootstrap.log and /target/var/log/debootstrap.err.log
> >>for the details.
> >

> >Are you installing testing or unstable ? I guess you are trying to
> >install testing, which may not yet have the fixed version of
> >debootstrap. Try installing unstable.
> >
> >Friendly,
> >
> >Sven Luther
>
> While searching myself something to eat *g*, I decided to download the
> image found at [1], and it worked just fine, until at one point it came
> up with this. ( note that I think to have passed the point of the
> bootstrap error of the other images ).
>
> ***
> Error
> ***
> [+] Continue without boot loader
> No boot loader installed
>
> No boot loader has been installed either because you chose not to or
> because your specific architecture doesn't support a boot loader yet.
>
> Your will need to boot your kernel by hand with the root=/dev/hda5
> option.
> ***
> End Error
> ***

That is not an error, just the message the nobootloader udeb outputs
when no boot loader was selected. I guess the real problem is that
either yaboot was not found, or somehow is broken for your hardware. Or
something is wrong.

Please consider filling a bugreport, using the template file found at :

  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template

If you can come back to the main menu, and see if yaboot-installer is
indeed proposed or not, it would be nice. Also, the debian-boot mailing
list would be more adapted for this kind of questions.

> Basically, as I haven't got the necessary knowledge, I explain myself
> the non-having of the bootstrap error anymore, with the fact that the
> new image, even thought labeled sarge is infact a sid image, or at
> least a "bugless" sarge image.
>
> As with the first mail I searched a bit on the web for a similar error
> to avoid annoying you, thought this time I couldn't find anything
> related.
>
> [1] http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sid_d-i/powerpc/20040214/

Yeah, this one sounds good.

> Not knowing what to try else, I am waiting for some more ideas :) and
> am reminding you kindly to please CC me, as I am still not subscribed
> to the list.
>
> Please excuse my 3 consecutive posts, I know it is not very elegant to
> do so. I haven't seen any other possibility, keeping you informed of
> what I was trying else, to get the installation procedure to work.

No problem,

Friendly,

Sven Luther