Re: radeon fb and 16 bit colors ...

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Michael Flaig wrote:
> yet another problem ... but first, my system and configuration
> TiBook with Radeon 9000
> Linux Kernel v2.6.2-ben1
> <*>   ATI Radeon display support (New driver)
> [*]     DDC/I2C for ATI Radeon support
>
> fbset says 120x854 at 8 bit after bootup ...
>
> Ok, to get to the point, i want to change my framebuffer screen to 16
> bit depth, because i want to play around with bootsplash.
>
> $ fbset -depth 16
>
> The framebuffer changes to 16 bit, but there are strange colors on
> the screen, and if I want to use the tool of bootsplash to play mng
> animations, the animation is displayed in funny colors.
> I can also see "depth not supported" many times on the screen in a
> small font size and in green color ...

The `depth not supported' message means you didn't compile in support for
16-bit console support (fbcon-cfb16) in your kernel.

> this says me that the framebuffer thinks it is 16 bit (btw. the playmng
> tool checkes that and loads the image only in 16 bit mode) but can?t
> display it correctly.

Plain `fbset' will also yell you...

> I have googled around and found some postings on the kernel ml.
> There were patches, but were they included in recent benh kernels?
> or are these patched only for the old readonfb driver?
>
> does anyone out there get 16 bit on the radeonfb framebuffer... ?

Chances are high bootsplash and playmng make assumptions about the format of
the 16-bit mode that are not true for radeonfb.

You can try fbtest (CVS module fbtest of project linux-fbdev.sf.net) to check
whether radeonfb does 16-bit correctly.

> btw. when i switch from x to framebuffer do an fbset -depth 16, go back
> to x and switch back to console again, the screen depth is back at 8 bit.
> is this correct, shouldn?t the depth be what i had set before?

X probably doesn't save the video mode.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds