problem with ppp? modem?

Hi!

I've just installed Debian on a Power Macintosh 7200.

Everything went fine, except for XFree86 which took some
effort, and ppp, which is still bugging me.

I have installed Debian 3.0r1, and  I have not updated or
touched anything. It is more or less a fresh install. I did
install some extra packages using the CDs, but I have not
been able to connect to the net yet, so everything is from
the 'release' CDs.

My modem is a SupraExpress 33.6 (V.42bis), external
(connected through the Mac serial port, ttyS0).

One of the main obstacles I've found is to get Debian (pppd?
chat? pon?) to dial. If I use minicom, I can dial my ISP w/o
problems. Nothing weird as far as I can see:
ATZ
OK
ATDT...
and I get a CONNECT and then the usual garbage stuff.

However, I can't get a connection using the usual tools.
I already tried pppconfig, wvdial, and manually editing
files and calling pppd on the command line. Sometimes it
seems like it is trying to reset the modem, but it never
gets to dial.

Perhaps there is some cruft left from my attempts to use
pppconfig or wvdial? Where should I look for files that
could be cleaned (rm'ed)? I'm fairly new to debian/linux,
though not to unix (FreeBSD mostly).

Thanks in advance,

Fernan
--