2.6.2 vanilla broken on iMac CRT 333MHz

Vanilla 2.6.1 was working fine, but 2.6.2 is definitely broken:

1) dmasound_pmac is gone, yet this is the only sound driver that ever worked on
this hardware.  Console beep is gone since 2.6, although that's still tolerable.

2) the ALSA substitute (snd_powermac) never worked on this hardware (either as
an alsa-source on 2.4 or as built-in within kernel 2.6) and it still doesn't (my
experiences of alsa-source with 2.4 were already reported here a few times).
There never was any error messages on 2.4, but 2.6.2 gives me this:

Starting ALSA (version 0.9.7):snd_powermac: Unknown symbol
i2c_smbus_write_block_data
snd_powermac: Unknown symbol i2c_add_driver
snd_powermac: Unknown symbol i2c_smbus_write_byte_data
snd_powermac: Unknown symbol i2c_del_driver
snd_powermac: Unknown symbol i2c_detach_client
snd_powermac: Unknown symbol i2c_attach_client
 powermac-failed failed

This therefore leaves me without sound, which is unacceptable.  Back to 2.6.1...

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/