Anyone using kterm/kinput2?

I'm trying to figure out why I can't actually get kinput2 working right
on my ibook2.2.  I have it working on 2 other i386 machines currently,
hence the powerpc posting.

I've got the locales built (ja_JP), canna, kinput2 and kterm installed
along with xfonts-intl-japanese.  I can get the shift-space kanji input
window to open but the cursor won't actually input text into it.  The
kanji window moves to the right as I'm trying to type in the romanji
fills in from the left.  It doesn't do this on i386 for some reason.

Man kterm or something gives an invalid character set error (but some
Japanese is displayed as well) and doing a CNTRL-Right Click in the
kterm window causes a segfault.  Running xjdic does crazy things.

I've googled around and found nothing at the moment.  Anyone have any
suggestions?

-mike