Re: mac-fdisk and 0x8e partitions for LVM

Em Qui, 2004-01-15 às 11:55, Michael Schmitz escreveu:

> > 	Unfortunately I'm no hacker, I am just trying to use LVM on the
> > PowerMac (OldWorld, beige G3).  So I can't show you source code.  This
> > evening when I get back home I can take note of the error messages and
> > send them, but to sum it up I tried everything under the Sun, and none
> > could mark a partition as LVM type, not even parted which does uses
> > names instead of hexadecimals.
>
> parted should indeed use names on Apple partitioned disks; LVM (from what
> I gather) doesn't cope with names here.

	Too bad... I guess not even LVM2?

> Sending the error messages (with comments on which tool produces them)
> would help.

	Will do, during or after this evening.

> > 	I tried even to mark a partition as undefined with mac-fdisk, but then
> > vgcreate fails, even if pvcreate works.
>
> You didn't answer my implied question: do you need to keep the Apple
> partition format, (f.e. because you need to keep MacOS on the machine)?

	Yes, it is a beige Apple Power Macintosh G3 which does need BootX.
quik and floppy don't boot it without serious hacking, I hear, so until
I have a working system BootX it is.

> And, out of interest: how do you boot the oldworld G3? quik, or floppy
> boot?? Can quik do dual booting on such a box?

	Would like to know, but I really would rather delete MacOS.  Never
found a step-by-step guide to quik that would work here, will try again
later.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra <ldutra@prefeitura.sp.gov.br>
Prefeitura do Município de São Paulo