Re: AirportExtreme on albook G4 15"

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:01:33PM -0500, Chris Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 12:55, Greg Gilbert wrote:
> > I thought the Airport and Airport Extreme cards used different
> > interfaces, is this just the case on the ibook and not the
> > powerbook?
>
> I was told by several people that Powerbooks could use both, perhaps I
> heard wrong?

No, there is no model that can use both the Apple Airport and the
Apple Airport Extreme cards. However, PowerBooks with PCMCIA can
use the old Lucent WaveLan Silver card which is the original card
that was the basis of the original Airport. There are several
names that Lucent used for their PCMCIA cards, but make sure you
only try the 802.11b cards, since the 802.11g ones use a different
chipset. There are other 802.11b PCMCIA cards that have Linux
drivers that should work fine once you get the PCMCIA stuff working.

You probably found someone calling the Lucent card an "Airport"
card because Apple was using that as the brand name for the
technology as well as the product, causing much confusion among
those not paying close attention to the details.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com