Re: Broken network card

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 04:46:56PM +0100, Eric.Lemoine@ens-lyon.fr wrote:
> > I just finished installing my new 2.6.1 kernel, and it broke my
> > ethernet card configuration or something.  Eth0 failed to go up on
> > start, and ifconfig eth0 up shows this:
> > eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>
> Your driver is probably compiled as a module and the kernel does not
> load it at network configuration time.
>
> I have the same issue and haven't found any solution up to now.

If that is the problem, you should create an alias for your network
card module in '/etc/modeprobe.d/aliases' or a file with such alias
line into on /etc/modeprobe.d/ directory.

For example, being 'sungem' the NIC module, 'alias eth0 sungem'
can fix it.

(don't forget 'update-modules' to activate your changes)