Broken network card

I just finished installing my new 2.6.1 kernel, and it broke my ethernet card configuration or something. Eth0 failed to go up on start, and ifconfig eth0 up shows this:
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

I have no clue as to where to start debugging such a problem, any help is appreciated. I have an Apple card in my Performa 6360 - it's the standard Apple ethernet card which replaced the original modem card which was in the communication slot. Thanks for any help,
Steven

Steven Schlansker
Tech Support & Programming

Flamin' Ghost Software