Re: Change (installing) Kernel using a downloaded .tar.gz file ?

Christian Banik wrote:
Hello,

i want to run my machine with a new kernel specialized for my hardware. I think the architecture is not so importend, therefore i send my mail to the i386 and the powerpc mailing list. I hope this is OK. I'm already running Woody 3.0.2 on my Apple Powerbook with a 2.4.X? Kernel, and i can't use X11. I thought the best would be using the specialized Kernel so i don't have to configure anything. I've got the Debian CD's and my kernel: linux-benh-powerbookG4-2.4.23-pre5-ben0.tar.gz on CD rom.
My problem is: I never installed something without dselect.

What commads do i have to use, to install the new kernel? My 2 Questions: How to configure lilo (yaboot for PPC) and how to install a .tar.gz file? Do i need the .conf file for the kernel?

1.) This is my /etc/yaboot.conf file (under i386: /etc/lilo.conf.):
boot=/dev/hda9  my boot Partition
device=hd:
Partition=11
root=/deb/hda11
timeout=60
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

macosx=/dev/hda12

image=/vmlinux  and NOT vmlinuz!
label=linux
read-only

2.) I found out to use the following commands, please tell me, if i'm wrong and this won't work!
mount /cdrom
cp /cdrom/linux-benh-powerbookG4-2.4.23-pre5-ben0.tar.gz /usr/src
cd /usr/src
tar xzvf linux-benh-powerbookG4-2.4.23-pre5-ben0.tar.gz
umount /cdrom

cd linux-benh-powerbookG4-2.4.23-pre5-ben0
make menuconfig

You can ease the following steps up by using kernel-package
first of all do the following :
( while in /usr/src )

- make a symbolic link called linux pointing to the kernel-source
ln -s linux-benh-powerbookG4-2.4.23-pre5-ben0 linux

cd linux

CC=gcc-2.95 make-kpkg kernel_image

after that, a rather simple dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.23*.deb will install the kernel and update all of your config files. ( the * represents the rest of the filename )

hope that helps.

make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

cd arch/i386/boot <--- I don't have a i386, and even worse: i dont have the directory /arch???
cp bzImage /vmlinux  <--- And NOT vmlinuz!
ybin (on i386 lilo)

reboot

Is that right? Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot,
Christian

--
Bob Hentges                            |     .''`.
http://bhentges.luxadmin.org           |    : :'  :