Re: ibook G4 X Window doesnt start

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 19:26, Francisco J. F. Serrador wrote:

> I'm still trying to get X window working without success.

There have been success reports on this very list about X on iBook G4s
though, haven't there? In case those posts don't help you, I suggest
putting aside your rather complicated XF86Config-4 and starting from
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk/examples/XF86Config-4.radeon

> I downloaded dri-trunk packages

I hope you actually mean dri-trunk-sid? The packages for woody are too
old to support your hardware.

> and compiled them.
> I can insmod radeon.o from dri-trunk without aparent problems....

You don't need to compile anything with a 2.6 kernel, the DRM that comes
with it is fine.

> When I startx, I get: "Fatal server error:
>                        Caught signal 11. Server aborting"
>

> XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Conection reset by peer) en Xserver ":0.0"
>       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>

> can you anyone tell me what does it mean and what should I do next?

Signal 11 is a segmentation fault, i.e. strictly an X server bug, but
seeing more of the X server log may suggest possible workarounds.

Software libre enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer