Re: powerpc 2.4.22-3 kernel packages ready.

Am Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:40:25 +0100 schrieb Sven Luther:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:57:22PM +0100, Christian Leimer wrote:
>> Hi!
>>

>> I tested powerpc-smp kernel and modules on Umax S900 running sid.
>>
>> No problem with quik boots fine.
>>
>> But I miss CONFIG_HIGHMEM to support all ram and the dri module for the
>> voodoo3.
>
> Mmm, i had trouble with the CONFIG_HIGHMEM some time back, but i can
> give building with it a try. Don't know if i will have time before next
> week though. Is it wise to enable that, or could it cause problems
> elsewhere (i have only 128 Mo of ram, so no way of really testing it).

I had no problems with the HIGHMEM option, so it works ;-). But dont the
others with more than 384 MB ram need this also? What about the voodoo3
dri module, i use a pci card? Problems? What also would be great if the
scsi speed could be 10 MBs, I think there are no smp macs with 5 MBs but I
am not sure.

>> And I can not print with cups. Dont know why there are no errors
in the

> And it used to work before ? From what kernel are you upgrading, and
> could you try again with the previous kernel, just to make sure an
> upgrade did not break something totally unrelated ?

Cups says: macserial driver loaded but no devices found.

I have an 2.4.23-rc1 kernel with serial built in and you did it with a
serial module. So that could be the problem but why? If i switch back to
my kernel printing works.

> Also, did you install the kernel-modules also ? There is a bug which
> allow installation of wrong versions of the modules package, and this
> may cause some of the problems you see.

Installed doing the following:
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-smp-pmac_2.4.22-3_powerpc.deb
 kernel-modules-2.4.22-powerpc-smp_2.4.22-3_powerpc.deb

error reading /lib/modules/2.4.22-powerpc-smp/build :Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden Deleting /lib/modules/2.4.22-powerpc-smp/build
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.22-powerpc-smp/
kernel/drivers/sound/kahlua.o

>> logs. The system feels really slow when i click on my home folder in
>> gnome it needs a long time to open it and some apps crash or freeze on
>> startup or maybe need a long time to start a ps shows them but no
>> window.
>
> No idea, seems like a gnome bug to me, same questions as above apply
> here.

This does no longer happens. So fixed by something. :-)

> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

Ciao Chris.