Re: radeonfb never redraws screen on wake

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 06:14, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > No, radeonfb uses the PCI stuff nowadays, but I'll look into fixing
> > > atyfb ;)
> >
> > It's worse than I originally assumed: the kernel hangs in
> > aty_power_mgmt(). The info and par pointers are OK.
>
> Update: compiling the kernel without preemption seems to fix it. What's
> needed to make critical sections in the framebuffer code preemption safe?
> (local_irq_save() didn't help, FWIW)

Ahhhhh.... that explains it ! Do no use CONFIG_PREEMPT if you want some
thing that works ;) Preempt is a toy that isn't quite right yet
(actually, some arch code and drivers aren't). I'm not sure what's up
with it yet, it may be more than just adding a local_irq_save indeed.

Ben.