Re: CFP (Call for Participation) Debian PPC64

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:36:48PM -0500, Kevin B.Hendricks wrote:
> Using that as an example:
>
> - kernel is 64 bit supporting both 32 but and 64 bit syscalls
> - /lib and /lib64 both exist
> - tool chain defaults to 64 bit but with addition of -m32 wll generate
> 32 bit
> - gdb32 and gdb available
> - almost all packages are compiled 64 bit src rpms, with just a few key
> libraries done in 32 bit
I think the amd64 guys are trying to find a solution where you can
install 32 and 64 bit libraries in parallel for maximum choice. I'm not
sure how they intend to handle the -dev packages though. Our packaging
system isn't up to handle this yet but with more and more architectures
aiming to support bot 32 and 64 bit (at least sparc, amd64, ppc and
mips, the later one will have to support even 3 ABIS) we'll have to
tackle this sooner or later. Do you know about any more details?
Cheers,
 -- Guido