Re: No (video) devices detected

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:17:38AM -0800, J Y wrote:
> Hi, I'm having trouble getting the x-server to see a valid video device.
>
> (II) VGA: Generic VGA driver (version 4.0.) for chipsets generic
> (EE) No devices detacted
>  Fatal server error:
>  no screens found
>  x connection to :0.0 broken
> (explicit kill  or server shutdown)

Instead of using the generic VGA driver, you need to use the fbdev
driver. There isn't a driver for the control video in XFree86, but
there is an fb driver in the kernel (controlfb).

> I installed woody (3.0rev1) on a power mac 7600 with a the video that it came from
> apple with. the video is onboard. Not a pci card. I think apple's method was to use
> system ram to supplement the vram. I did do apt-get install discover, but discover
> doesn't discover the video. If anyone has experiance with setting up older macs to work
> with debian and specifically getting the x-server to work I would appreciate the
> help-thanks

Actually, the 7600 (and other similar machines) use the control video
chipset, which is on a separate bus that is almost PCI, but not quite.
It does have it's own VRAM (4 sockets, 1M modules), but it can be
shared with the video input that came with most models based on the
same motherboard. The 7600 has the PlanB video input, which does have
a Linux driver. As far as XFree86 is concerned, the control video is
a dumb framebuffer handled entirely by the kernel. So make sure you
have controlfb running (check /proc/fb and make sure it doesn't say
offb) before you try to configure X.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com