Re: Playing a .mov file with mplayer

Joe, and all others who wrote:
Thanks for helping ...

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Joe Malik wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:59:24AM +0100, Joe Malik wrote:
> [...]
> > just played the trailer, works fine for me. I've installed to codecs
> > from www.mplayerhq.hu . Grab 'em and you should be go.
> [...]
> > MPlayer is 1.0rc2, should be same as yours. Different platform though,
> > but I think your just missing the right codec.
>
> Correction: mplayer 1.0pre2 already has faad built-in support. Thus mplayer
> didn't use the codec I downloaded nor the codec from libfaad/faad packge. The
> binary your're using (mplayer-g4 1.0pre2) was built with internal faad
> support. I'm kinda puzzled myself it doesn't work since I've got the same
> configuration. I'd then go with the advice of the people particapting in this
> thread to grab mplayer-cvs and give it a try, this allows you to tweak
> mplayer to either use the built-in codec or use the library from package
> libfaad2-0.
> One last thought: check if /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf (& ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf)
> is up to date, if I recall correctly the format was changed somewhere
> between 0.90 and 1.0.

... so far I can't tell whether codecs.conf is badly set up, as I
can't do a diff to an older one: the current mplayer is the first I
have installed.

Perhaps the drivers are there, but at the wrong place, I'm still
trying to understand what's going on here ...

As to your suggestion with new codecs: that's a good idea, but most of
them on
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
are for x86, and I need them for a powerpc, or that's a least what one
could think is neccessary when reading the page above ...

This whole situation is ugly: I thought I had the neccessary stuff on
my system when I downloaded everything I found for mplayer from
uni-konstanz, but as it seems, either they didn't have/provide the
audio codecs I need, or if they did, then some are broken; or the
codecs are on places here where mplayer can't find them. I don't know,
yet.

I'm still trying to find out what I have at all on the OS after
installing the packages for mplayer, and this seeems to be much more
messy than anything else, as the docs coming with the stuff, as far as
I found them, seem to be more or less unusable for someone not being
familiar with mplayer and codecs, if existent at all ...

CVS, so far, is no option: I've never done this, I don't know what it
is, and to get it working with the docs I found so far, it'd cost me
several days simply to get me a *glimpse* on what it's all about. And
a glimpse is definitely not what I want as I don't want to end up in a
situation I'm already in now, as it seems ...

Thanks a lot, again, to those trying to help.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang

--
Profile, Links: