kernel 2.6.0-test9 & xfree86

After many test compiles with all 2.6.x kernels I have come up with an issue dealing with xfree86 4.2.1-13.  When the system was done booting and ran gdm I only could use one X display and had no access to any tty terminal windows.  I  then tried to boot into text first and found out that I  could use any tty to log in to the box.  Now when I use startx it does not start in the correct tty but in tty1 and then have no access to any other tty.

I gather it has to deal with fbdev in x but do not have any other idea to what my cause this.