Re: How to get infrared and/or Nokia working

Christian Jaeger <christian.jaeger@ethlife.ethz.ch> wrote:

Hi Christian,

> Thanks again for your help. But I still haven't succeeded. (Linux
> seems to confirm an old prejudice that it's immature and difficult to
> use.)

IrDA isn't something easy to set up. It took me some months to finally
get it working.

>>irattach must be running ; it's automatically started if you have
>>irda-common installed.
>
> Thanks. I wasn't even aware that I need this package.

There are others, apt-cache search irda will give you a list. Not all
are needed, though.

> I've configured irda-common to
> - serial port (vs. native)
> - driver: none (since none matched what I found in the kernel config)
> - device: /dev/ircomm0

Here's what I answered when installing irda-common :

% debconf-show irda-common
* irda-common/ttydev: /dev/ttyS1
* irda-common/aboutdoc:
* irda-common/enable: true
* irda-common/changes:
  irda-common/mkirdev:
* irda-common/discovery: true
* irda-common/regen: false
* irda-common/dongle: none
* irda-common/firdev: smc-ircc
* irda-common/firopt:
* irda-common/selectdevice: serial

The device (ttydev) to use is the _serial_ device on which the IrDA
port is attached, so that would be /dev/ttyS1 and not /dev/ircomm0
(that you should use when you want to reach a device over the IrDA
link).

Run "dpkg-reconfigure irda-common" to change the configuration of
irda-common, then restart the irda service.

> It starts irattach, and a running irdadump outputs exactly *one* of

Use ps to see what options where passed to irattach. You should find
the serial device (/dev/ttyS1) and the discovery option (-s).

> the above lines. /etc/init.d/irda restarts a new instance of
> irattach. /etc/init.d/irda stop does not terminate them. kill does

Yes, I've had this problem, however, I no longer experience that with
2.4.22-ben2 and an up-to-date unstable system (dunno which of the
kernel or userspace tools changed, but that doesn't happen anymore).

> neither. kill -9 finally does. /etc/init.d/irda start does make
> irdadump issue one line again.

I think this is because of the wrong device setting.

> I've rebooted my laptop and tried again (without any sleep cycle
> inbetween), no joy.

Hope you'll have more luck this time...

JB.

--