Re: Making d-i work on oldworlds

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 06:29:21PM -0200, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Oct 15 2003, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > The scripts are still there in boot-floppies; the piece we haven't
> > mentioned is using ofpath to figure out how to set the nvram
> > parameters. What's there works for most people.
>
> Why exactly is Debian switching from boot-floppies to the new d-i? I
> thought that the boot-floppies were so nice... Of course, if d-i is
> nicer (more flexible, less requirements etc), then it's welcome.

boot-floppies were insanely difficult to maintain, non-modular, much of
the code dated from the dawn of time and had accumulated a lot of cruft,
and so on. d-i moves to a lots-of-packages-style scheme which has worked
well for the rest of Debian, and by allowing components of the installer
itself to be downloaded during installation frees the installer from
some of the floppy-disk size constraints which previously plagued it.

> Oh, BTW, how exactly is a udeb different from a regular deb package?

udebs don't have to follow policy. For instance, they don't contain
documentation or man pages for reasons of space.

Cheers,