Re: share partition between macosx and debian

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 20:11, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> I have a friend who did it but he had to make a FAT partition to share a
> partition because linux  does not write on usf.  Is this statement still
> true? Can macosx r/o on ext2-3?

There is a ext2 driver floating around for MacOS X, and apparently the
newer releases don't hose your ext2 partition. I haven't used it, but a
friend tells me it works fine now.

One big note: DO NOT USE UFS ON MACOS X. It's slow, relatively
unsupported and there are bugs with applications relating to it. Unless
you have a *real* good reason to, don't touch it. Also remember that
each implementation of UFS is different, so just because UFS appears in
the linux kernel config, does not mean that it will read MacOSX's
version of UFS.

The HFS+ driver for linux (esp the newer one) does ro brilliantly,
although I won't make any claims for rw as i haven't used it much.
previously it worked okay for the limited rw i did.

Besides, you can always boot up OSX in mol and scp stuff across.

I wouldn't bother with any FAT nonsense, it's unlikely to be very useful
and it *definately* isn't very reliable - the FS was not designed for
reliability in a multiprocessing environment. HFS+ support in linux is
progressing well and has been included in linus 2.6 tree, so it'll be
there in the future too.

I like XFS for my linux partitions as it's well designed and fast.
Otherwise, I'd use ext3 over ext2, although on a laptop i'd use the
laptop_mode stuff so that you don't touch disk every 5secs.

> Does the Debian partition still need to be first with swap?

not that i'm aware of - i just made stuff. If it's any help, my
partition map is below:

/dev/hda
        #                    type name                 length   base
( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1
( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                56 @ 64