Re: Partitioning for Debian Woody PPC 3.0

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 01:08:16PM +0200, Max Power wrote:
> > > Sorry, I have forgotten the subject!
> > > ----------
> > > Von: Max Power <max-power@teleos-web.de>
> > > Datum: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 13:00:44 +0200
> > > An: <debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org>
> > >
> > > Hello debian-user! 1st, sorry for my bad english! I want to put debian woody
> > > 3.0 on my Apple iMac 500MHZ CD-RW. My problem ist to partition the harddisk.
> > > I don´t know all of the commands like "b" for Apple_Bootstrap or "i" for
> > > erase and "p" to show the table. So I want to know all of the necesary
> > > commands, that i can install Mac-OS 9.2 and debian woody 3.0 PPC on my PPC.
> > >
> > > What is the command to create the Root-Partition / Swap-Partition /
> > > Mac-Partition?
>
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook/
> Excerpt from the page:
> "These instructions should apply to any model of iBook, but they have
> only been tested by the author on a 2001 iBook Dual USB"
>
> I used the instructions for a PowerBook G4 (867 MHz), with Mac OS X
> already on the very last partition of the disk -- I left the very
> first part of the hard disk free for Debian ... and it worked out of
> the box for me (and at this time I didn't have nearly the slightest
> idea of how Debian works; I had used RedHat Linux about 2 years before
> that)

        [ ... ]

Branden Robinson,

Just an addendum: when I said your page "worked out of the box" for me
I meant the partitioning instructions on it.

As to the boot process into the Debian Installer (my apologies,
Branden ... :) I took, IIRC, another road:

You write on your page:

"Restart the computer and hold down the four keys
command + option + O + F. This puts you into OpenFirmware,
which is a kind of boot monitor. At the OpenFirmware prompt,
type the following: install [ ... ] "

It was much easier for me: All I did was burning the first 2 Debian
images (version 3.0.r1) to CD's and then booting the Powerbook with
the first Debian CD in the machine:

After starting the machine I simply held down the 'c' key to start the
Debian installer: that was it, IIRC (it's more than about 3 months ago
I installed Debian, so thanks to my porous memory I can only give a
guarantee of about 99 % to it ... :)

But it seems that it is still possible to boot a Powerbook G4 (867
MHz) into the Debian Installer with the 3.0.r1 first Debian CD, even
*after* the latest Mac OS X 10.2.8 update; I downloaded and installed
this OS X update a few days ago, after which I used the Debian install
CD similar as I described above: I'll post a more detailed message
regarding this subject to the "Upgrade Mac OS X 10.2.8 stops
2.4.21-ben2" thread on this list in a few minutes.

And as far as I understand it's actually a good idea to install with a
CD if one has a laptop without a floppy: considering the fact that
people sometimes have problems to boot their Powerbook with Linux and
Mac OS X on it, it seems to me being extremely important to have the
first Debian CD handy (*and* to check whether it *still* can boot the
machine at least before making changes (upgrades etc.) to Mac OS X ...
:)

Hoping it helped .. :)

> Good luck,
> Wolfgang
>

> Brandon Robinson,
       ^

Sorry about my spelling, Branden (seems I've saw too many Marlon
Brando movies ... :)

Branden, again, thanks a lot for your page
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook/
As I definitely like it to get things done in a reasonable amount of
time, I don't think I would have been able to install Debian as fast
as I actually did to my machine without your page.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang

--
Profile, Links: