Re: New per subarch 2.4.22 powerpc kernels, please test.

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:39:00PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > I am searching for testers for the new 2.4.22-2 serie of kernel
> > packages before uploading them to the archive, and potentially
> > breaking lot of stuff.
>
> Well, the kernel booted fine on all the Newworld Powermacs that I
> could get a hand on, which is probably not surprising - they are all a
> bit old and hence reasonably well-supported.  Want a list of models?

Ok, nice. Did it work fine with the kernel modules also ? It seems that
on oldworld, it was searching for /lib/modules/2.4.22-powerpc modules,
while the modules where in -powerpc-pmac. But then, maybe he was using
an older kernel or something such. You had not the same problem, did you
not ?

> > Remaining problems :
> >
> >   1) Each kernel image still has a 8Mo or such copy of the
> >   modules. I wanted to separate them, but Manoj tells me this is not
> >   possible so near the sarge release, since it requires
> >   modifications of kernel-package, so it will be for later.
>
> Building a common modules package for all sub-archs sounds like a very
> good thing to do.  Just to get this right: You are probably aware that
> in order to achieve this now, you could simply bypass make-kpkg in
> debian/rules, like by doing one full build with make-kpkg and then
> several kernel-only builds with make or somesuch.  So are you saying
> that you would like to wait till this functionality is integrated into
> kernel-package?

Yep, i could be doing it manually all the way. But i don't feel this is
a good idea this near to sarge, and with 3 hours per build (down from
around 4 previously though) mistakes are expensive.

Once we have something working, and if there is time for it, i can
always look into that.

That said, my idea would be to simply postprocess the .deb creation
phase, removing the modules from the packages or something such.

Friendly,

Sven Luther