Re: Linux does not boot after a MacOSX upgrade

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:36:45AM +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:27:19PM +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> >>ummm about reconfiguring yaboot?? How does one do that when you are in a
> >>shell from booting from an install CD? I have booted from a CD and have
> >>mounted my system with "mount /dev/hda11 /mnt" so I can now see and
> >>probably edit /etc/yaboot.conf
> >>Then I gather you run ybin but what parameters to give to ybin to tell
> >>it to install to /dev/hda???
> >>Normally I would just run ybin from a normally booted system.
> >>(I dont have a man ybin on the CD booted system)
>
> > The best way is to execute in a chroot. First modify
> > /target/etc/yaboot.conf if needed. Then
> > chroot /target /bin/bash
> > mount -t proc proc /proc
> > ybin -v
> > exit
>
> OK I have booted from CD1 and got myself a # shell.
> mounted /dev/hda11 under /target and I was able to cat
> /target/etc/yaboot.conf and all was fine with it.
> Then followed the above. All worked OK.
> (I liked the blessing)
>
> Rebooted the machine and at the boot: prompt hit 'l' for linux, it
> enters the second boot stage then still starts the kernel and exits with
> openpic exit. So the error is still the same.
>
> Can someone explain what the OSX upgrade might have done. I would have
> thought that it would have just blown away the bootloader for linux and
> so I would not have even got a boot: prompt - it would have just booted
> straight into OSX. Yet I still have the first stage bootloader and it
> points to my current perfectly fine kernel. Is there something that the
> kernel needs to know from OpenFirmware that OSX upgrade changed? I cant
> imagine theat the OSX upgrade would touch the kernel as that is on
> /dev/hda11

No, at least I sure can't. The only thing I can think of is maybe it
screwed up the filesystem on that partition; maybe e2fsck in the
installer, before mounting it, might help. After that, try replacing
the kernel with a backup?

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People