Re: Linux does not boot after a MacOSX upgrade

On (23/09/03 20:51), Mike Lake wrote:
> I need a bit of guidance in getting a Ti PowerBook booting.
> Today I allowed Apple to upgrade the OSX on my machine and now Linux
> does not boot. This may be a problem wiht the just released today 40MB
> patches so all take care.
>
> The machine is a Ti Powerbook running Debian stable. The Linux is on
> partition 11 and is from what I remember ithe kernel is just vmlinuz either in / or
> /boot. I boot with yaboot 1.3.6 and from the prompt Linux is the
> default. MacOSX is an option.
>
> It was working fine then oday I did an OSX update. OSX works fine still
> (except M$ Explorer now crashes but that is no loss) but when I go to
> boot linux this is what happens.
>
> The first stage boot loader works and I get ...
> boot: l    <--- I hit X for MaxOSX and it works OK and into OSX
>            < I hit l or linux single and I get...
>
> second stage boot loader starts
> Welcome to yaboot 1.3.6
> boot:    <--- wait
>
> The kernel starts to boot
> Welcome to Linux kernel 2.4.20
> .....etc etc
>
> then it fails at the text only a few lines down..
> openpic spurious
> openpic exit
>
> The laptop then shuts down
>
> This suggests that the bootloader is ok but that the kernel has been
> clobbered.
> I then tried booting from a debian boot CD (CD number 1) and
> it does not boot with either the 'install' or the 'install-safe' images.
>
> I googled for this openpic error but I get refs to where ppl had kernel
> errors after trying a new kernel and had this problem. I havent
> compiled a new kernel just had an OSX upgrade.

On my G4 I had trouble with the woody version of yaboot.  Ethan Benson
suggested using the latest verion from:

http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/yaboot-howto.shtml

I know you had it working before and this is not really an answer but it
may get you there nonetheless.  Reconfiguring your existing yaboot may
also do the trick.

HTH

Clive

--