Re: "Setting Up General Console Font" DebianPPC error lockup

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Thomas Otto wrote:

> >>;-)
> >>I would say you just boot your current system with the parameter
> >>'init=/bin/bash', then do an fsck of the root fs, remount the root
> >>parition read-write and try to fix it.
> >
> >  Now that sounds a _lot_ easier : you'll need to repeat *all* of the
> > bootargs when you run `setenv', then do not run savenv, go straight to
> > `bootd'.
> >
> > Thanks for the clarification, Thomas.
>
> Erm - did I miss the <irony/sarcasm> tag here ;-) ?

No sarcasm intended, the instruction was for the OP (could have made
that clearer).  We're talking AmigaOne here, otherwise I wouldn't have
jumped in at all.  The boot is controlled by u-boot.  Among other
things, there is an environment variable to tell it where the kernel
will be found (typically 0:1 for partition 1 of disk 0) and another
storing the bootargs (root device for linux - typically hda2, video
parameters, and a few other settings).  The important thing is to key
all of these _plus_ init=/bin/bash, but to NOT save them in the NVRAM.

> Are you using and oldworld mac who uses a more complicated
boot
> mechanism like bootx? With my newworld G3 I just choose 'l' for linux at
> the primary yaboot bootprompt and then enter
> "Linux init=/bin/bash" at the secondary promt (which is a bit tricky to
> to a non-US keyboard layout).
> Then I get a bash promt without touching any initscript. To boot, i just
> to 'exec /sbin/init'....
>
>       -Thomas

 We haven't got a boot selector yet.  The environment can point to
exactly one partition for booting, and if I've read it right it will
load the first file on that - it has to be a PReP partition, and since
it doesn't have a filesystem I guess there's only ever one file.
Alternatively, you override it to boot from a different PReP disk
partition, or a CD.  It's fun, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

Ken
--
 Peace, love, linux