Re: Meta Alt oh my! (long)

On Monday 18 August 2003 4:28, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> 	Latest news... everything works now, in both servers.

Great!

> 	Now I have:
>
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
> 	Driver		"keyboard"
> 	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
> 	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
> 	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
> 	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us_intl"
> 	Option		"XkbOptions"	"altwin:meta_win"
> EndSection

OK ,so you changed the XkbModel and deleted the bogus ibook XkbVariant, and
the problem left.

> 	So I gather that the macintosh keymap never took effect in :0;
> looks like X defaulted to pc101 and that enabled altwin(meta_win) to
> work, while :1 got the macintosh keymap where altwin had no effect.
> Strange that nothing appeared at the logs.

So the easy bug to report is the lack of logging. Give the relevant XF86Config
section and explain the theory of "silent fallback on error only on display
:0"

> 	Also strange that setxkbmap did work, but with kinks such as
> the eventual loss of Meta-Tab and Meta-(Right|Left).

Well, setxkbmap usually exited with an error, so having kinks like that might
not be such a surprise.

> 	I give the case as closed AFAIC... but I guess it still
> warrants some form of bug report; if someone knows how to gather
> enough information, I'm ready to collaborate.

Well, you have all the info, and the only system that shows the error, so you
should report it, in case the developers need more info.

Frank