weird problem - ibook power management

Hi.. I'm experiencing a weird problem.. usually when I close the lid of my
ibook (w/ benh10 kernel and the power management enabled in the kernel), the
computer goes into standby.. and when I open the lid, it comes back up..
sometimes (and I can't seem to identify a pattern) after the ibook is closed
and it's gone into standby and I've left it in my bag (so its on battery) for
a while, when I take it out, the white flashing light has disappeared, when I
open the display, it doesn't come back up but I know it hasn't shutdown cos
the caps lock and num lock lights work..  and pressing Fn key doesn't bring
it back up... today, after it came back from standby when I opened the lid, I
reconnected the power cable and then closed the lid after a few seconds and
the problem I just described reoccurred.. I've been basically shutting the
computer down and then restarting to "solve" the problem.. any ideas on what
might be happening and how to solve it?

Thanks,
nirmal