Re: Newbie (to ppc), but glad to be here.

On 5 Aug 2003, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 05:07, Jeff Feige wrote:
> > My questions are as follows:
>
> > 2. My mixer (/dev/mixer) doesn't really seem to work properly.  The Main
> > volume control does nothing, while the speaker control adjusts the
> > volume.  This would be OK except:  1. My volume control in XMMS (I'm
> > running gnome w/o esound (too slow) - so I'm using OSS in XMMS) doesn't
> > work.   2.  Since I cannot separately control PCM,  Master and Speaker
> > volume, I cannot listen to headphones and turn the built-in speaker
> > volume down.
>
> The sound driver is an old venerable pile of hack I'd rather not
> touch for now, fixing that may break other machines... The Alsa
> codebase is a lot saner and will be the only supported driver in
> 2.6, so if there's something to fix, let's fix it there and not in
> good old dmasound.

Speaking of which, when can we start using the 2.6 kernel on an iMac? :)

Btw, compiling my own PPC 2.4 kernel, using either the dmasound or a patched-in
ALSA, fails completely for me.  I have already reported extensively about my
dmasound problems here.  Using the ALSA patch packages, I get a kernel that
freezes the machine dead during bootup.

In other words, I have yet to be able to compile myself a kernel that works on
PPC, while it works just fine on i386 and on hppa; in both cases, I can play
with the compiling optins ad nauseum and produce good kernels all the time.

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/