ALSA on PowerBook Pismo WAS: Re: Newbie (to ppc), but glad to be here.

    >> 2. My mixer (/dev/mixer) doesn't really seem to work properly.
    >> The Main volume control does nothing, while the speaker control
    >> adjusts the volume.  This would be OK except: 1. My volume
    >> control in XMMS (I'm running gnome w/o esound (too slow) - so
    >> I'm using OSS in XMMS) doesn't work.  2.  Since I cannot
    >> separately control PCM, Master and Speaker volume, I cannot
    >> listen to headphones and turn the built-in speaker volume down.

    > The sound driver is an old venerable pile of hack I'd rather not
    > touch for now, fixing that may break other machines... The Alsa
    > codebase is a lot saner and will be the only supported driver in
    > 2.6, so if there's something to fix, let's fix it there and not
    > in good old dmasound.

Speaking of this, I tried using the ALSA drivers in debian unstable,
and they work okay, except for one thing.

When I put the my Pismo to sleep, it doesn't wake up properly if the
ALSA modules are installed to the kernel.  I get that grid like pattern
on my screen and the computer just locks up.

If I uninstall the modules, the sleep and wake up works fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

So what I gather needs to be done is to force uninstall the modules on
sleep.  ALSA does support an option for this, but it only works with
APMD, which is of no use to PMUD.  I tried hacking the PMUD scripts
but obiviously, my shell-scripting sucks, otherwise, I would have been
able to give a fix.

Any ideas on how to do this, or any other ways around it?

Thanks,

Marshal