Re: Meta Alt oh my!

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 14:47, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:09:19 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > IIRC the X server uses the kernel keymap if you disable XKB.
>
> 	So seemingly this is what is happening to :1 here...

I haven't seen anything suggesting that. What I have seen is that one
server seems to be using pc101 and the other macintosh for XkbModel for
some reason. Compare the server logs: are they both using the same
config file? Are they using all the same XKB options? ... If everything
looks the same in the logs then the difference if probably on the client
side. If you're using the same session on both servers, maybe gdm kicks
in in a subtle way?

BTW, I routinely use several servers and have never seen this problem.

> >> and ideally also the framebuffer ones?
> >
> > Option "UseFBDev" does that.
>
> 	OK, I thought about that after hitting the send button.  But
> then again, at the moment the X drivers seem to be more developed than
> the kernel ones.  I guess eventually the kernel drivers should achieve
> parity, and then we'd have a radical simplification.

I don't see Linus accepting video drivers of the X calibre in his
kernel...

> Granted, other OSs would need to follow suit, but being free software
> the kernel drivers could be used as guidelines.

This is indeed one reason why XFree86 will always have its own drivers,
at least until all the OSs it supports (which is a great many) provide
all it needs, which is unlikely to ever be the case. I suspect it's
similar for XKB.

> 	In other words, I guess FBDev at the moment isn't practical,
> meaning, won't usually give same performand and (or) features?

People keep confusing Option "UseFBDev" and the fbdev driver. The former
basically provides the same features as the driver it's used with does
without, the latter is a generic driver and hence can't provide any
hardware specific features.

PS: Your followups to the list are prone to list lag...