Re: XFS enabled Debian 3.0r1 powerpc installer

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 08:58:55PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> >I was wondering... Why did you focus on XFS? What are in your eyes the
> >advantages? I'm using EXT3 on my current i386 laptop (and indeed
> >suspending the disk is impossible, but I favor that over spinning
> >up/down all the time which isn't good for the disk at all), will
> >XFS be better?
> >
> I'm using ext3 on my powerbook for a long time no and havn't had any
> problems.

I would expect it to be, it's the same here... so the question
remains, why XFS.

> > What experience do you guys have with suspending the disk (and
> > resulting laptop-usage increase) in a iBook/Powerbook?
>
> In my experience the most important thing to be able to spin down the
> disk is not writeing to it all the time. This can be accopmlished with
> Jens Axboe's laptop mode patch which is included in latest benh kernels.

Yes, but this install (see start of thread :) seems to feature the
2.4.21 vanilla kernel. I haven't checked how the 2.4.20 is different
yet.

> You have to activate it with a little script (included in the kernel
> sources) which enables it by setting some /proc entries. Of course not
> writing the log to disk immediately somehow defeats filesystem
> journaling :-( but you can have everything at once.

No, but it feels a bit scary though.

> With that i can spin down the disk with cpudyn (sone to be packaged for
> debian). This daemon also slows down the cpu on low cpu load.

OK, thanks, going to have a look into that package.

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | JID:   paul@luon.net
University of Technology, The Netherlands   | email: paulvt@debian.org