Re: PC graphic adapters on Mac Harware

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 07:51, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> So the problem isn't initialising the chips without the firmware, but
> what to initialise them to.

Indeed, and only the firmware knows that in general, hence it kinda is a
problem without. :)

> The information with which to initialise a card (any card) properly
> will likely be viewed and handled as a business secret, and remain
> proprietary.

I don't think that's the point - the information probably isn't all that
secret or valuable. I think they just want to be able to arbitrarily
change hardware details without having to worry about all the drivers
out there.

> I have no idea if Nvidia, Matrox or 3DFX are any better in this respect.

I doubt it. If initialisation from scratch is more feasible with cards
from some other vendors it's probably due to less variation of the
hardware.